What is your problem Roy?
I need to implement HACCP but not pay 4 arms and 8 legs for it.
What do you have to consider when you implement HACCP?
Well there are a lot of things but essentially you will need:
1) Training - find an implement HACCP course and get that certificate ($700 - July 2011)
2) Training - find an Food Auditing course and get that certificate ($1400 - July 2011)
3) Write your HACCP document - take a minimalist approach, only record what you have to don't try to have a full blown clean house in your premises
4) Use a financial dairy to record your daily cleaning, checking, recording deliveries
5) Since you have to keep your invoices use it to keep temperature records (especially for chilled deliveries)
6) Keep your premises clean and simple, take out things you don't need or hire a storage and put all those things you don't use in it
7) Look for an Auditor that is interstate that visits once a year
8) Book in an Audit, commit to the timeline it saves you from delaying
Ok so now you know the approximate steps, how long does this whole process take? It took me about 3 weeks of work on the document at 1 to 2 hours per night.
How much did the whole process cost you in the end in total including the audit?
$2900.00 at July 2011 WHAT!! -- I know .. my first quote for a consultant was $10000 not including the Audit!!
Temperature monitoring giving me the blues
Temperature monitoring is giving me a total headache Roy how did you solve this issue? My manual recording is very simple, every morning when I come to work I check all my fridges and freezers I then write fridge and freezer OK in my dairy. If there was an issue with one of the fridge or freezer I will write down what happened in the dairy. At the end of the day I do the same but instead of writing down fridge freezer OK I will write down AM & PM and initial. Do not record if you don't go to work..
Do you have a solution that monitors it 24 hours for my 8 fridge and freezers that costs less than $10000?
I now am investing into a new system which will cost a total of about $600 that can monitor and log and send emails. Yes I know what you are going to say no Roy it can't be done, one of those units is going to cost at least $2000 and that is for 2 probes!! When it is all up I will let you in on the secret ~ no not the Oprah secret, the temperature monitoring one.
I am also in the throws of developing a smart phone app that can help you monitor all your daily tasks so you can carry on with making money instead of worrying about record keeping. Is it going to be free? probably not but it is going to be very affordable.